The Cathedral Choirs

Music has been a part of St George's life from the founding of the parish in 1792.  For much of the past 80 years, the Cathedral Choirs have been amongst the best known in Kingston and far beyond.  In 1954, St George's choir was the first choir from North America to ever sing daily services in Westminster Abbey.  Further trips to England in 1965 and 1979 firmly established the choir as a bastion of English Cathedral Music in Canada.  The 21st century has brought new successes and challenges, particularly at the moment while we are operating under severe restrictions due to COVID-19.  

Small groups of singers are recording Evensong and other special services bi-weekly while Sunday morning services are sung by solo voices.  

St George's YouTube Channel
The Cathedral Organ

In the late 1920's the Woodstock Organ Company provided St. George's Cathedral with a three manual organ on which today's instrument is based.

Dr. George Maybee initiated a massive rebuilding project, completed in 1963. Thirty-two new ranks were installed along with a new console closely resembling that of Westminster Abbey. The British firm of Hill, Norman and Beard was chosen to complete the work.

In the mid 1980's the organ was again rebuilt.  A solid-state electronic console replaced the previous electro-pneumatic console.

The most recent renovation was completed in 2012 by Sylvain Brisson and Alain Gagnon, including a new console, and restoration and expansion of all divisions. 

 

Organ Specifcation